Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Stephen King, The Shining: "... an unexpected monster lying in wait, crouching among the dried bones of its old kills."



I'm reading Stephen King's book The Shining. I can't believe I haven't read it before.

No, that's not right, of course I can believe it, I just regret it. Why did I wait?

I started reading King's books as a late teen on the advice of a friend's mother. (Yes, that's right, my friend's mother got me reading horror!) I've read all his books since, but that leaves his entire backlist for me to work through.

My advice: for those of you who have just discovered King, make The Shining one of the first books you read. Here's a quote, this is Jack Torrence describing himself:
"He was like a man who had leaned around a corner and had seen an unexpected monster lying in wait, crunching among the dried bones of its old kills."
Scary reading!

Photo credit: "The bird and the moon II"

No comments:

Post a Comment